If you are trying to open Microsoft MapPoint Web Service Software Development Kit (SDK) version 4.1 in visual studio 2005 or higher visual studio will upgrade the project and you will receive the following error message
ERROR: Unable to get local copy of file web references\mappointservice\reference.cs.
This error is comming because visual studio 2005 includes additional features for visual c#.net and vb.net which were not present in earlier versions of visual studio. Other reason is upgrade wizard does not correctly convert the mappoint SDK sample projects.
To resolve this
* Start visual studio 2005
* On the File menu, point to Open, and then click Project/Solution.
* Locate the project file (.csproj or .vbproj) that you want to open, and then
* In Solution Explorer, right-click the name of the project, and then click Add
* In the URL box, type the following URL:
* Click Add Reference.
* Right-click the project, and then click Rebuild Solution.